Friday, May 13, 2011

Slogging Through

    
     So I haven't blogged much this week- which is good because I didn't get caught up in that whole blogger fiasco, whatever it was. I've been doing more writing, working on my query (still), reading back a couple of critiques, and critiquing someone else's work. And the weather has actually been nice around here for once so I've spent some time outdoors with the kids- yay summer!
     One thing I've noticed this week as I'm getting closer to the end of my book 2, is that the scenes I'm writing are hard. I've found myself really struggling to get the words out, to make the scenes appear on paper the way they are in my head. Maybe I just haven't been on my game this week, maybe I've been distracted, or maybe it's just because I'm reaching the end. Who knows. What I do know is that I hate it when I'm slogging through my writing. I hate when I sit here trying to come up with the right words. I wish that every time I sit down to write my fingers could fly across the keys trying their best to keep up with my overflowing thoughts and ideas. (While I'm at my pointless wishing, I might as well wish to be one of those girls who can eat and eat and eat but never gain any weight- a girl can dream.)
    This is the point where I get all profound and compare slogging through writing scenes to slogging through the muck and how it's worth it or it changes us or something when we finally make it through to the end.
    What. Ever. I don't know about you, but I like it when I can whip out 2000 words in an hour or two. It makes me feel like a genius. Like a superstar. Like maybe I was meant to do this and that I'll succeed.
     But as I'm writing this I'm learning my lesson: writing isn't always easy. There will always be times where I have to slog through. But the writer who can slog through, who doesn't give up when it just isn't coming- that writer WILL succeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment