Thursday, July 14, 2011

Harry Potter Week, Day 4: Friends and Enemies

     I hate to admit this, because it will show what a Potter-nerd I am, but me and Harry are the same age. He was born July 31, 1980, and I was born a few months earlier in April. How do I know that? Read Deathly Hallows.
     Anyway, I mention this because it ties in to today's questions...

Who would you want to be friends with at Hogwarts?
Who would you actually be friends with?
Who, at Hogwarts, would be your greatest enemy?


     So, since I'm the same age as Harry, and assuming I'm right about myself and that I'd be in Hufflepuff (although I've heard on the new website Pottermore that Rowling has made up an extensive questionnaire to determine what house you're in so we'll see in October)... well, my actual friends would probably be fellow Hufflepuff's, like Susan Bones or Hannah Abbott. Maybe even Justin Finch-Fletchley or Ernie MacMillan, although I think that guy would annoy me a bit.


     Who would I want to be friends with though? Well, duh. Harry, Ron, and Hermione. I mean, who wouldn't? And it's not because I'd just want to hang out with the famous kid. Harry would be a great friend because he's brave and loyal. He can kick Voldemort's butt. Hermione would be a great friend because she'd be dead useful for school things- like foot-long essays on the correct composition of Strengthening Solution, or notes for History of Magic. And Ron- well frankly I'd like to be friends with the entire Weasley family. Maybe then I could get my own hand-knitted jumper with an "M" on it from Mrs. Weasley.

"But from that moment on, Hermione Granger became their friend. There are some things you can't share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them." (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, page 132)


     Okay I know those are really shallow reasons for being friends with someone. The truth is, I think we'd all like to be friends with those three because we know them the best of all the characters. We know them so well. They feel like friends already.

"Harry- you're a great wizard, you know."
I'm not as good as you," said Harry, very embarrassed, as she let go of him.
"Me!" said Hermione. "Books! And Cleverness! There are more important things- friendship and bravery..." (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, page 208)

     So who would be my greatest enemy? If I was a Hufflepuff, I don't know... since we don't know much about them, it's hard to say. They don't seem to have many enemies. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle are pretty much mean to everyone so they'd probably be the ones.


     Speaking of friends, I love the end of movie 5 (Order of the Phoenix) when Voldemort is possessing Harry but can't stand it because of Harry's love for his friends. Dan did it awesomely and so did the director with the flashes first of what Voldemort is making Harry see, and then the images of Harry's friends. The scene shows how important it is to have friends and loved ones in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment