Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Book Thief

     Yesterday, I said the best book I read in September was Anna and the French Kiss.
     Well, also yesterday, I finished another book that could give Anna a run for its money.


     The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

     These books are nothing alike. Where Anna is fun, light, romantic, The Book Thief is dark, sad, and scary.
     But it was AMAZING. Interestingly, the book is about a girl who loves words and Markus Zusak has this incredible way with words. Sometimes he'd say things that I would read over again because I just didn't understand. Other times, I'd read phrases and wonder how he came up with it and try to control my brimming envy. Some examples:
    
     At that moment, you will be lying there (I rarely find people standing up). You will be caked in your own body. There might be a discovery; a scream will dribble down the air. The only sound I'll hear after that will be my own breathing, and the sound of the smell, of my footsteps.

     As I made my way through, each person stood and played with the quietness of it. It was a small concoction of disjointed hand movements, muffled sentences, and mute, self-conscious turns.

     Those are both in the prologue, before the book has barely begun. And I have to share my favorite. And FYI, this quote is said by Death.

     It kills me sometimes, how people die.

     The Book Thief is the kind of book that everyone MUST read. (Warning, there are swear words- just FYI.) It's the kind of book I will NEVER forget. The kind of book that makes me feel like a crap writer but the kind of book that also makes me want to be better. The kind of book I will go to the store and buy tomorrow (I got it from the library) and pass along to everyone I know, telling them to read it ASAP. If you haven't read it, put it on the top of your TBR pile at once.

8 comments:

  1. I've read it, but it's been a while. I brought it up to school with me though and plan to reread it, because you're right--it's really just that great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a lover of beautiful language, it sounds like one I might like!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it during the summer and I absolutely love this book! I love how the intrigue is built, with all the asides Death puts (and all the very explicit mentions of things to come). I love the tone and voice of Death, and the nostalgic sadness that pervades the entire story. I'm so glad I bought this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean about never being able to forget it. It's just... incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the writing took my breath away. Wonderful. And all the swear words my German teacher refused to teach us! :D

    Some of the storytelling technique bugged me, though. Like giving away the ending three or four times before you get there? Meh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anna and the French Kiss is waiting patiently on my shelf for me to read it. I can't wait. Apparently I need to add this one to my "must be bought" list! So glad you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had this one sitting in my TBR pile for a few months now. Every time I look at it I think: YEAH, I SHOULD GET TO THAT... But now I'm truly motivated to open it up! Thanks for the fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree - everyone should read this!

    ReplyDelete