Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Don't Make Me Choose, and Muse

     This week's Road Trip Wednesday Topic:

What was the best book you read in October?

     Hmmm, this month, that's tough. The books I read in October were these: Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, Shade and Shift by Jeri Smith-Ready, The Power of Six by Pittacus Lore, and Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler.
     These were all good books. I hate to say that none of them blew me away. I couldn't pick one that was the best. Especially since they are all quite different. Beauty Queens and Twenty Boy Summer are both contemporary, but one is silly/funny while the other is more serious/sad. Shade and Shift deal with ghosts, while The Power of Six is about aliens with super-powers.
     The book I'm reading now- Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver- would probably be my top pick, but I'm not finished it yet. While I started out not liking it much (the MC and her friends are not very likeable- at least not in the first chapter), it's grown on me. I want to keep reading to see what happens and I've formulated a few different scenarios on how it will end. It's sticking with me when I'm not reading it, and that alone would put it top of my list.
     So that's not much of an answer, but too bad.
     30 Day Song Challenge, Day 20: A Song That I Listen To When I'm Angry
     Usually, if I'm angry or sad or whatever, I listen to anything- anything that will cheer me up or lighten my mood. But if I'm angry and I want to hold on to that feeling... well, I'd probably listen to this:
Supermassive Black Hole by Muse

(And because I first discovered this song, and Muse, from Twilight, I couldn't help but use a video with clips from the movie. Twilight haters- suck it up and deal)



6 comments:

  1. I LOVE this song!!! I totally listen to it when Im angry too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a fast reader! I've only read one non-fic and one fiction. On Writing by Stephen King and The Help. Both are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to look into that book: Before I Fall. My manuscript is done and I'm sending out queries, but I'm hearing back that my MC isn't too likable in the first couple chapters because the MC is the monster and it's written from her point of view. Maybe I should see how Lauren Oliver turns that around in her book.

    Love the song too! For any mood! ;)

    I read The Hunger Games this month, so that is definitely my favorite book of the month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Before I Fall a lot. I thought it was very well done. You'll have to let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MUSE! Yah, I love them! I think my favourite songs of theirs must be "Time Is Running Out", "Hysteria", "Uprising" - Too many good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh. You've got me listening to them again now. The bassist is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete