Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Memory... All Alone in the Moonlight...

You've got that song in your head now don'tcha?


So for Road Trip Wednesday's topic for today:

What book brings back memories?

I can't think of just one book that brings any kind of major memory. A lot of books bring up at least glimmers of past moments, past reads, past parts of my life...

I remember reading New Moon in my bed while sobbing and feeling grateful that no one was around to see me.

Picking up any of Robert Jordan's books bring back thoughts of my sister who recommended them to me and then later discussions of whether the books had become a bit too much.

Reading Lord of the Rings brings back the memory of tricking my friends in Grade 6 that Chapter Two started halfway through the book making Chapter One VERY long. (It was Chapter Two of Part Two. Man, was I clever.)

Dragonlance books and anything by Piers Anthony bring back memories of me as a kid, learning to love dragons and magic and all things fantasy, and the desire to be like my older brothers and sisters.

Other books bring back memories of school: Romeo and Juliet, All Quiet on the Western Front, Beloved, Far From the Madding Crowd... I could go on.

And there's books that remind me of my childhood. The Grinch Who Stole Christmas, Pippi Longstocking, Clifford the Big Red Dog.

I remember finally reading Pride and Prejudice and loving it and realizing that my mom was right.

I remember finishing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and then immediately flipping back to page one to start it all over again.

I remember when my dad gave me Oh The Places You'll Go and I realized that Dr. Seuss books were more than just funny rhymes.

I remember reading David Eddings as a teen and wishing I could write a book with characters who all had such different personalities. Wishing I could create a character as awesome as Silk.

Okay, I swear I'll stop this trip down memory lane. But not before I say one more thing:

BOOKS ARE AWESOME

So for Blog Me Maybe- May I Ask Something About You- What books bring memories for you?

4 comments:

  1. Like you, I have memories attached to so many books, picking one was hard. So I went for the least predictable. :) With the Harry Potter books, I have strong memories of reading the first few books (I was checking them out to make sure they were okay for the kids to read... and I kinda got sucked in!), and then sitting on the end of the bed my two oldest shared reading the books to them (a chapter or two a night). Happy memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A number of Hermann Hesse novels bring back memories for me, remembering where I was and what i was doing when I first read them. I remember reading Steppenwolf (my dad's copy) in the community college library in December '99, staying up after bedtime to read Demian in the summer of '94, and the used bookstores where I found some of his books, like Peter Camenzind and Narcissus and Goldmund.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - to many different books to many different memories! I do remember reading the English version of one of the Harry Potter books in school in Germany and one of my teachers who was also reading it in English (the German versions always came out later) actually coming over to ask me the meaning of a word! I felt so smart :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Witch of Blackbird Pond brings back memories from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete