Friday, October 5, 2012

Anne and Avonlea

My daughter recently got into Anne of Green Gables. Or maybe I forced her to get into it when I made her watch all three very long movies (Anne of Green Gables, the Sequel, and the Continuing Story). Ha, just kidding. I started watching it while on the treadmill and she got interested and SHE wanted to watch it all.

I'm so happy my eight-year-old is growing to love Anne like I do. One of my favorite childhood memories is watching Anne with my Mom and eating mint chocolate chip ice cream. Now my daughter reads Road to Avonlea, and we've started watching Road to Avonlea episodes. It's been so refreshing watching a wholesome TV show.

So today, what do I love? Road to Avonlea.


And, completely unrelated, I need some book recs. First, I need some great women's fiction or chick lit recommendations. Anyone? The other I'm looking for is a medieval romance (nothing too bodice-ripping though). My character in Daze reads medieval romances and I figured I should read AT LEAST ONE so I know what they're like and what she'd learn from them. Anyone have any recommendations?

6 comments:

  1. *Popping in to wave at you!!* :)

    For medieval romance, try Lynn Kurland. She writes a lot of medieval/time travel books, but she does have a few "straight" medieval romances: Another Chance to Dream, If I Had You, This is All I Ask, and From This Moment On. I've been a huge fan of hers for many many years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Anne of Green Gables (both the books and the movies), definitely something I hope to bond over with my girls as well. As far as chick lit recommendations I like anything by Marianne Keyes- Lucy Sullivan is getting married is my favorite of hers. I Can't think of anything Medievall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the recs, I actually wrote them down so I won't forget!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Women's fic I love = Kristin hannah's NIGHT ROAD or her book MAGIC HOUR. Both are great. NIGHT ROAD is about a helicopter mom and MAGIC HOUR is about a little girl who comes out of the woods mute/with a pet wolf. I liken Kristin Hannah to Jodi Picoult . :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure if these fall under any of the categories that you're looking for, but have you read any of Lauren Willig's books or Deanna Raybourn's? I've really enjoyed both authors' books and they're pretty easy reads too. Just out of curiosity, have you ever read the EMILY books by L. M. Montgomery? I love them so much more than ANNE. And the best part is Emily is an aspiring author! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Anne!
    Hmm, chick lit... you've read Talli Roland, right? She's great. Also Carole Matthews (another British author).
    Jo Bourne writes awesome historical romances. Trying to think of a good medieval romance - I'd like to read some too!

    ReplyDelete