Friday, December 21, 2012

The Hobbit

I was super excited to see The Hobbit last weekend. My hubs, on the other hand, was not. I think he was trying to convince himself it wouldn't be any good so that if it wasn't, he wouldn't be disappointed.



Well, I LOVED it. I don't know if he was quite as impressed but we both agreed that it didn't feel like a three hour movie.

 
I do have a couple of nitpicks of course. The rock monster scene wasn't necessary, and they went WAY over-the-top with the whole Radagast trying to heal his hedgehog (or whatever that was). Of course Gandalf looked older when he's supposed to be younger, and even Elijah Wood didn't seem like the same Frodo.

But so what? The movie was awesome!

Last night I read a few scathing reviews and articles about it and I almost fully disagreed with what was being said, but it did get me thinking. A couple of weeks ago, we decided to watch all three LOTR movies. I remember saying out loud before we watched it how LOTR are the best fantasy movies ever made and how they're not cheesy.

 
Then we watched it. And there are so many CHEESY parts I almost wanted to laugh (at myself, not the movie). But LOTR is still awesome and I stand by what I said- that it's one of the best, if not THE BEST, fantasy movie(s) ever made. I think what happens though is that we build things up in our head to epic-sized proportions. That's what LOTR has become. Epic. And so we expect The Hobbit to be EPIC as well. Inevitably, it ends up disappointing- some people anyway. I WAS NOT disappointed. I'm so happy that we can go back to Middle Earth, that we can have more, that it's hard for me to be disappointed. (And I personally thought both Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage were FANTASTIC.)

Have you seen The Hobbit? What did you think?

And now this is me signing off for the next couple of weeks. YA Highway has a whole week of Road Trip Wednesday questions going on next week that I'd love to participate in, but with Christmas, and now an unexpected trip to Salt Lake, I'm just not going to have time. If I do manage to squeeze in computer time over the holidays, I'll be using it to work on my R&R.

So Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays! Happy New Year! See you in 2013. (That is, if the world doesn't come to an end sometime today.)

No comments:

Post a Comment