Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Book Overdose

It's the end of the month, so of course YA Highway wants to know:
 
What's the best book you read in June?







Here's what I feel about these books this month. While none of these books were terrible, none of them blew me away. I can't pick just one as being standout, so amazing, that it's all I've been thinking about.

I read a lot, and it's getting harder and harder for me to be blown away. Most of the books I read are great (very very few I stop reading only a few chaps in). All of the books I read have things I love about them and things I don't. Most of the books I read I finish and think, well that was good, but that's about it. I've really come to understand how hard it must be for agents to pick through their slush, to find something that really knocks everything else out of the water, especially when that water is full with some great things.

I think maybe I overdosed on reading this month. The funny thing is that while I might have read a bit too much, the fact that I read SO much indicates that all of these books were un-put-downable in their own ways.

So here's what I propose: if you want to know the best of this bunch, YOU go and read them and then you can decide which is best. Okay? Okay.

6 comments:

  1. You totally just scared me with the slushpile comment, but of course you're totally right. I also find that reading as a "writer" often makes it harder for me to enjoy the book for entertainment. I'm currently reading BITTERBLUE, which I'm REALLY liking, but it has some similar elements to my WIP so I keep comparing them. I really loved CINDER, so I hope SCARLET is a satisfying sequel-of-sorts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a fan of the Lunar Chronicles series, so I'm picking SCARLET as your book of the month, Melanie. I hope you don't mind... ;)

    I understand what you're saying, though. There are months when I read books and none of them really wows me. In fact, you know the books that have stood out for me, because they're the ones I gab on about all the time on my blog (and on other people's blogs). And there really aren't that many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scarlet is the only book on your June reading list that I've read, and I picked it as my favorite June read. If the other seven are just as good, I guess I have a lot of reading to do in July to catch up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean...I've been having the same problem. I can't remember the last time I was completely blown away by a book. There were plenty that I liked a lot, but thing that I can say I absolutely loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you're in a genre slump. It happens to me sometimes too. What works for me is reading a book or two outside my normal genre like an adult mystery or thriller, nonfiction, etc.

    The only book I've read on your list is SCARLET. :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, I am a little bit jealous about your reading list this month! We've been renovating our house, so I haven't had much quality book-curling-up time this past month. Hopefully you find one in July that blows you away.

    ReplyDelete