Wednesday, March 5, 2014

What's Up Wednesday: AUGH!

What I'm Reading
I finished Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein last night and augh. AUGH. Her books. Seriously. They are just SO MUCH I don't have the words. I will add that I don't think this book is quite as good as Code Name Verity but it's still SO GOOD. And note to self: don't read books about concentration camps right before bed because you won't get much sleep.

What I'm Writing Revising
I've made good progress on EPONINE. I'm right in the middle section now and this is the stuff that needs the most work. Yesterday I cut cut cut and combined a bit and today I've got some new-fangled scenes to write. Yeehaw!

What Inspires Me Right Now
I was listening to this song yesterday and suddenly the words jumped right out at me and I had to replay and replay because I could totally place it in a specific spot in EPONINE. Love that!
If this video doesn't work, check out this link on YouTube:

What Else I've Been Up To
The hubs and I took the kids to The Lego Movie on the weekend and I hate to say I was disappointed. The kids thought it was great, the guy next to me was howling, but I just... didn't. The graphics of the lego building were pretty cool (and they had DUMBLEDORE for a split second and with a weird voice) but that's about it. There's so many other good kids movies these days that this one just didn't live up. Sorry, Lego Movie but everything is not awesome.
What is awesome? MERLIN. I'm on season five and I love it and I'll be SO SAD when it's over. Also (mini-spoiler coming), Arthur better figure out Merlin has magic before the season ends or I'm going to have a hernia. AUGH!

What have you been up to?

12 comments:

  1. I really liked Rose Under Fire but it's true. It's not as good as Code Name Verity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uh oh. The kids have been wanting me to take them to The Lego Movie. I was hoping it was better than it looked. Thanks for the warning. Glad to see you are doing well and making good progress on Eponine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still have Rose Under Fire on my shelf because it's one of those books I know will be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Merlin. That was a fun show ^_^

    I liked The Lego Movie, but my brother *loved* it. Sorry to hear you weren't so taken with it.

    Hooray for progress! Have a fantastic week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed out loud at your Merlin comment (re: Merlin's magic). No kidding, right? I remember being preoccupied with that very thing when I was watching it too. I loved that series so much. It just got better and better as it went on. Definitely suffering from Merlin withdrawal now...

    You're kicking EPONINE's butt from the sound of it. I think so much of the stress comes from just trying to figure out what needs to happen and where. Writing new scenes can be tons of fun when you know exactly what the story needs. I'm hoping for that kind of clarity soon.

    Have to agree with you on the Lego movie. I mean, I enjoyed it, but not nearly as much as I was expecting to. The way that everyone raved about, I fully anticipated that I'd love it. Not so much. (Though, I think we might be alone on this lol.) Have a great week, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear you didn't like the Lego Movie. I was surprised to like it as much as I did, because I don't usually like what's popular. I guess everyone has different tastes. :) Congrats on the revising progress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Merlin. It's such a good show. Good luck with your revisions. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Merlin! And as my husband and I were watching it, we'd start every episode with "Arthur better find out this episode!" And then he'd get hit on the head. I won't spoil it for you, but I really do love that series.

    Good luck with revisions!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, about to make a confession: I couldn't get into Code Name Verity *hides behind a bookshelf from all the books being thrown* But I'm glad you enjoyed the series! Congrats on making progress on revisions. I find myself holding off when I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and it scares me, but sounds like you've broken through that wall!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Merlin spoiler: Season 5 is awesome! :) You didn't really think I'd tell you what happens, did you? As much as you want the series to go on indefinitely, I think one of the best things they did was knowing when to call it quits and stop. Sometimes, series drag on well past their sell-by, and what was once enjoyable becomes either same-old-same-old, or it becomes something completely different just to try to stay interesting. I'm always impressed when the producers know they could keep milking a show for years and make lots of money, but also know that artistically, it wouldn't be right, and call it a day.

    All the best with EPONINE this week, Melanie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad your revising is going so well. I love when that happens! I hadn't heard of that Elizabeth Wein book. I really enjoyed Code Name Verity. Adding Rose Under Fire to my TBR list! Have a great week, Melanie!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The little boy I nanny really wants to go to the Lego Movie. He and I watch Ninjago, the lego show about ninjas, all the time.

    I'm on season 5 of Merlin too! Don't tell me what happens, but I totally agree! Arthur better find out.

    Good luck revising! :)

    ReplyDelete