Monday, April 28, 2014

A-Z Challenge: X is for X-Men and Other Superheroes

I didn't grow up reading superhero comics- I was more into novels. I remember watching Lois & Clark sporadically (my best friend had a crush on Dean Cain) and seeing Batman and Robin in the theatre (I had a crush on Chris O'Donnell). And then 2000 hit and suddenly it was the start of the age of superheroes. X-Men came out that year and even though I didn't know anything about them, I saw the movie in theatres and loved it. Then came Smallville. And the Spiderman movies. Iron Man. Fast forward more than ten years later and we've got the awesomeness that is Marvel, and DC trying to keep up with their upcoming Batman vs. Superman movie.

Superhero movies to me are the perfect blend of action, comedy, and romance. They're the kind of movies I want to spend the big bucks on so I can see them on the big screen. They're the movies that get me excited, get my blood tingling and my heart pumping and my legs jumping.

Isn't it awesome? I love how this has all become a THING. How it's okay to be excited and even obsessive about comic books and superheroes and everything that goes with it. How superhero fever has swept the world. I know I sound cheesy right now, and maybe it's my inner nerd coming out, but superheroes are the best! I just hope that Marvel and DC and everyone else making books and movies keep up the quality we've come to expect.

What do you think about superhero comics/movies? Fan or not so much?

Oh, and an X song for the day which has nothing to do with comic book heroes, but comes from a superstar for sure:
XO by Beyonce

8 comments:

  1. I had some comic books when I was younger, but I was never the obsessive fan. As for the current wave of superhero movies... I have mixed feelings. On the one hand they are, generally, good movies, with at least half-decent plots and enough going on to entertain for a couple of hours. On the other, they are extremely CGI-dependent, and hugely expensive. I have nothing against CGI per se, but when a movie is dependent on it, I think it detracts from things like the actors' performances, and the cinematography--things we always used to appreciate about good movies. Also, when you consider the budgets for these movies could feed countless starving people in this country, or provide shelter to thousands of homeless people... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything you say is true... and yet I can't help but love those movies! I admit it, I like a good crowd pleaser. I like to be entertained. I'd much prefer to see a big budget movie with lots of CGI in the theatre than something slow and boring. ;)

      Delete
  2. I never used to be into the superhero cartoons or shows growing up. But my boys over the years have turned me into a HUGE fan of all the big movies: Iron Man, X-men, Batman, Spiderman. I still have a major crush on Chris O'Donnell:-D LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris O'Donnell. Man did I swoon over the guy. I haven't seen him in anything recently though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite a bit older than you, but I used to love the original Superman TV series. There was something about the nerdy, studious Clark Kent jumping into a phone booth, taking off his glasses and turning into a super-hero hunk. :) I watched early Batman too. What about Ninja Turtles? LOL I liked your post and didn't consider it cheesy at all. I guess the last superhero I watched was the Harry Potter movies. I guess he could be a super hero, couldn't he?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was always a huge X-Men & TMNT fan as a kid. Loved the shows and collected all of the trading cards. I've been into comics for about 5 or 6 years now, but I read a lot more than just superhero stories. It's mostly sci-fi, fairy tale re-tellings, horror & zombie comics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is cool to be nerdy, isn't it? I think shows like The Big Bang Theory have helped. It shows that smart can actually be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a good one for X! I cannot wait for the new X-men movie. I really enjoy the Marvel movies too.

    ReplyDelete