Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Wednesday Writes: Comfort Zone Edition

Sooo, it's been another week without writing or revising. But I haven't been sitting on my rear. I finished beta-ing a great contemp YA. And... okay that's about it. I went away for a long weekend so that's my excuse.

PLUS, I did something else I'm super proud of. I TALKED ABOUT MY BOOK TO TOTAL STRANGERS. To most people that wouldn't be a big deal, but for me, it was totally stepping out of my comfort zone- something I'm going to have to get used to. We went away because the hubs had this work conference. It's after dinner and I'm surrounded by men my husband knows talking about sports. A few seats down is a group of women talking books. I have this conversation with myself:

Me:I should tell them about my book.
Me: No, I won't.
Me: I really should.
Me: But then I'll be interrupting them and that's totally rude.
Me: But how will I ever get readers if I won't put myself out there?

I did this for a bit while my palms got all sweaty and my heart pounded like crazy and finally, I got out of my chair and joined them. I'm sure I babbled a lot, and I totally botched my pitch (is it still called a pitch when you're just telling someone about the book?), but they were super nice ladies and I'm glad I did it. GO ME!
We even took a picture together.

For writing this week, I want to get back to a WIP I finished early in the year. It needs a lot of work, so I might as well get started!

1 comment:

  1. It's so scary to talk about your work with strangers, it's awesome that you were able to do so! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete