Monday, March 7, 2016

Monday Reads: CARRY ON, LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE, ME BEFORE YOU, and ORIGIN

It was another great couple of weeks of reading. First, I read CARRY ON by Rainbow Rowell. If you haven't read FANGIRL, I suggest reading that first before CARRY ON. In FANGIRL, the MC Cath writes Simon Snow fanfiction. CARRY ON is an actual Simon Snow book- so it's nice to get a bit of a starting off point.

CARRY ON started a bit slow and weird for me. I kept thinking I was reading some strange and twisted version of Harry Potter. Once I got into the story though (probably 100 pages in or so), it became its own thing and I forgot about HP. I ended up loving the book. I gave it five stars, though really it was more of a 4 and a half kind of book, just because of the beginning.

I love this cover- so swoony!
Next I read Gina Ciocca's LAST YEAR'S MISTAKE. Another great book. It was angsty, it was full of feelings, and I loved it. It was kinda hard to watch the MC take forever to realize what she needed to realize (trying to be spoiler-free here), but that was the whole point of the book. It wasn't an easy journey for her. The only thing that left me a little disappointed is due to the format of the book- alternating flashback chapters and present day chapters- I felt like the big secret hinted at through the first half was bigger than it turned out to be. Otherwise, a great contemporary YA read.


Then I read ME BEFORE YOU by Jojo Moyes. And I don't even know what to say. Wow. Just wow. Loved it. Like crazy. Such a good book, a feels book, an ugly cry book, a funny book. A definite must-read. And I can't wait for the movie to come out. And I'm going to buy this book ASAP because I must own it. Yeah. It was amazingly good. Just trust me.


I thought that it would be it before Monday, but I ended up reading Jennifer L. Armentrout's ORIGIN over the weekend. I read the first three books in the series awhile ago, so I totally had to hit up the Recaptains blog to remember what was going on. The book was a fast read, and good. I gave it four stars. But honestly, I feel sorta sorry for it after ME BEFORE YOU. I don't think any book could quite live up.

No comments:

Post a Comment