Monday, April 18, 2016

Monday Reads: Two YA, Two Persuasion Retellings

It was another full couple of weeks of reading. First came THIEF OF LIES by Brenda Drake.


I've "known" Brenda online for a few years now- she's an amazing help for writers with her contests and Twitter pitch parties- so I was excited to pick up her book THIEF OF LIES. The premise of library jumping is so cool and of course I love me some romance. So... the book was good, but it had a little too much packed in it for my taste. It was fast-paced, that's for sure, but there was so much going on that I found myself not connecting with the characters like I wanted to. I wish she would have focused more on the library jumping and left out all of the other prophecy, demons, creatures, fairies, dopplegangers, love triangles, etc etc etc. I really really wanted to love this book a lot more than I did. :(

LOVE these covers!

Next, THEIR FRACTURED LIGHT by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. This is the last book of a trilogy and I have LOVED every single one. I'm not even a sci-fi fan but these books... *gush gush gush* I just love everything about them.

Next came THE PERSUASION OF MISS JANE AUSTEN by Shannon Winslow. This book is by a fellow member of Austen Variations, and I adored it (and I'm not just saying that because we're in the same group). It was like a mash-up of BECOMING JANE and PERSUASION. Instead of Tom Lefroy, Jane's love interest is a naval Captain. The story parallels a lot of Persuasion but with a much different ending- the kind of ending I wish were true for my favorite classical author.


And finally I read FIND WONDER IN ALL THINGS by Karen M. Cox. I'm not enamored of the cover, but the book was really good. Almost five stars for me, the only thing that brought it down was a few little nitpicky things. I loved how she made the story of Persuasion her own- especially how she changed the family dynamic, and the format where we got to see the Anne and Wentworth character's whole relationship from start to finish instead of starting off at 8 years later. I was worried a little that this book would feel really similar to SWAY because James (AKA Wentworth) is a musician, but it wasn't like mine at all... except, yanno, for the whole Persuasion thing. ;) Great book!

No comments:

Post a Comment